Concrete Systems Technician
Miles Sand & Gravel is looking for a highly motivated individual with strong technical skills in the ready mix industry as a Concrete Systems Technician. The individual must be a self-starter with the ability to prioritize workload and self-manage his/her daily activities. The position will be responsible for maintaining and supporting users and technology at various work sites in various regions, including offices and plant facilities. This position will provide onsite technical support as well as hands on training in collaboration with Corporate IT Manager and Corporate Ready Mix Manager. This position will also require project work and travel as necessary. This position will report to the Corporate IT Manager.
- Batch plant hardware: Inventory batch plant hardware to include but not limited to; plant make and capacities, scale load cells and indicators, admixes, moisture probes, plant controls, and manual operator stations.
- General batching: Review current practices, work with QC and plant maintenance to tune plants for accuracy, consistency and efficiency. Assist in creating batching procedures and best practices and work with batching personnel to implement this ongoing education.
- Plant procedures: Identify current startup/shutdown and weather procedures and be a part of the team to modify, redistribute and train on any consistency driven changes.
- COMMANDbatch: Be proficient in the use and management of COMMANDbatch concrete batching software and associated hardware. Travel for conferences and training as necessary to be Miles’ in-house COMMANDbatch trainer, coach and support; to include training new batch operators. Assist Miles IT as necessary to keep hardware and software versions current.
- Marcotte: Be proficient in the use and management of a Marcotte batching system. Assist as necessary supporting, training and keeping hardware and software current.
- Color systems: Work with our local vendor to gain a working knowledge of our use of multiple color systems and assist in identifying means to maintain consistency and quality. There will be a need for ongoing operator training.
- Admix systems: Gain a working knowledge of our use of chemical admixtures and the systems to dispense them. Work with admix suppliers to maintain equipment and our operator’s clear visual of product bottles.
- Concrete reclaim and recycling systems: Gain a working knowledge of our use of environmentally conscious concrete reclaim and recycling systems.
- Cement inventory and aggregate bin fill systems: Be proficient in the use and management of our inventory and bin fill systems at batch plants. Hardware will be installed and maintained by plant maintenance and the concrete technician will manage the software including user setup and training, and management of notification levels.
- Dispatch, ticketing and tracking: Gain a working knowledge of concrete dispatch use and integration to batch panels and tracking devices.
- Network and computer systems: Gain a basic understanding of networked devices in a concrete batch office to include Windows PCs, ticket printers, phones and cameras. This exposure will be limited as this will primarily remain the responsibility of Miles IT.
Job Skills and Requirements:
- Outstanding communication skills and a strong ability to communicate effectively and professionally via telephone, email and in-person. Have the ability to listen, speak plainly and communicate effectively.
- A self-starter who can 1) work independently, diligently and responsibly with minimal supervision 2) work as a member of a team 3) manage their time wisely 4) multi-task in a fast paced environment 5) meet a deadline 6) be accountable and 7) have a “can do” attitude.
- Have the ability to solve problems, prioritize the most important situations, think quickly on your feet and apply solutions to minimize future disruptions.
- Possess the ability to keep calm during stressful situations.
- Organized with exceptional attention to detail and great recall skills.
- Dependable and have an outstanding attendance record.
- Willingness to travel to the Company’s various locations in western Washington.
- Flexible and have the ability to work overtime when necessary.
- Honest, responsible and trustworthy with confidential information.
- Represent the company in a professional and ethical manner.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and possess basic math skills.
- An excellent driving record.
Required Education and/or Experience;
- 5 to 7 years ready-mix industry experience is highly desired and preferred.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
The Miles Group of Companies includes Miles Sand & Gravel Company and Miles Resources, LLC. Miles Sand & Gravel Company is a 4th generation, family owned producer of aggregates and ready-mix concrete for the construction industry. Miles Resources, LLC is a general contractor specializing in civil construction and asphalt paving. Our corporate office is located in Puyallup, WA with facilities in western WA – from the Canadian border to Tenino. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug free company. We have an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off and retirement plan. Please type concretetech.miles.rocks in the subject line of your email reply.
Email/Fax resumes to or apply in person:
Miles Sand & Gravel Company (Main Office)
400 Valley Ave NE
Puyallup, WA 98372
Fax – 253.444.0744