Corporate Safety Manager
Miles Sand & Gravel Company is seeking an experienced Corporate Safety Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership, mentoring, coaching, implementation and oversight of the Company’s Safety and Health programs.
The ideal candidate should be capable of the following essential tasks;
- Ensure compliance with all corporate, local, state and federal safety standards and regulations.
- Provide technical safety and health support to production, transportation and corporate personnel.
- Maintain, develop and enhance corporate safety and health programs and objectives and coordinate safety training programs.
- Monitor safety and health regulations and provide technical support to all facilities & departments.
- Work closely with staff at all levels including corporate, human resources, legal and operations including production and transportation.
- Identify company safety training needs and develop and coordinate safety training programs including annual safety and health goals.
- Participate in new process reviews, including job hazard analysis, operator training, etc.
- Administer and coordinate employee personal protective equipment program.
- Promote safety and health awareness through internal company memoranda, newsletters and specific training programs.
- Facilitate and participate in safety committees and the safety incentive program.
- Understand local, state and federal regulations related to safety and monitor changes as they occur to keep company management and personnel informed.
- Audit practices of divisions to ensure compliance with company policy/programs and regulations.
- Monitor lost time injuries/illnesses and worker compensation claims.
- Investigate accidents/incidents and report to management.
- Travel primarily within the Company’s areas of operations. Occasional out of area overnight travel should be anticipated.
- Ensure that company goals are being achieved.
- Review operations and make recommendations to management.
- Maintain a positive, respectful working relationship and communicate effectively with customers, ownership and all company employees.
- Maintain knowledge of industry relevant issues by seeking continuing education opportunities.
- Champion the company to employees, customers and the community by participating in company sponsored events and activities.
Job Skills and Requirements:
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills & attributes;
- Competent and experience in working with MSHA/OSHA/L&I rules and requirements.
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking – ask the right questions, separate facts from assumptions and determine relevant facts in the decision making process.
- Excellent negotiating, planning, scheduling and logistical skills.
- Comfortable interacting at multiple levels – from drivers, operators, mechanics, sales, marketing, dispatch to the company president.
- A general understanding of 1) Ready-mix batch plant operations, 2) Aggregate production facilities and 3) Fleet vehicle and equipment systems, technology and specifications.
- A self-starter who will 1) maintain a positive attitude, 2) be a coach and mentor while working as a member of a team and the ability to promote the benefits of working together as a team, 3) work independently, diligently and responsibly with minimal supervision, 4) manage time wisely, 5) multi-task, prioritize and sustain focus, 6) meet a deadline, and 7) be held accountable.
- Be honest, responsible and trustworthy with confidential information.
- Represent the company in a professional and ethical manner.
- The ability to function in an office environment as well as the Company’s industrial environment including outdoor weather conditions.
- Excellent driving record.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- A 4-year degree in Occupational Safety and Health Management, Construction Management, Business Management, Concrete Industry Management, Mining or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years of increasing experience in the safety field is preferred.
- In lieu of a degree, an equivalent combination of increasingly responsible equivalent work experience, education and training, preferably in mining, industrial or construction environments, which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
The Miles Group of Companies includes Miles Sand & Gravel Company and Miles Resources, LLC. Miles Sand & Gravel Company is a 4th generation, family owned producer of aggregates and ready-mix concrete for the construction industry. Miles Resources, LLC is a general contractor specializing in civil construction and asphalt paving. Our corporate office is located in Puyallup, WA with facilities in western WA – from the Canadian border to Tenino. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug free company. We have an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off and retirement plan. Please type safety.coord.miles.rocks in the subject line of email replies.
Email/Fax resumes to or apply in person:
Miles Sand & Gravel Company (Main Office)
400 Valley Ave NE
Puyallup, WA 98372
Fax – 253.444.0744