Miles Sand & Gravel Company is seeking an experienced Division Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing, in a safe and efficient manner, all Ready-Mix sales/operations/transportation, Aggregate sales/transportation and associated Fleet maintenance within the Division.
The ideal candidate should be capable of the following essential tasks;
- Provide leadership, mentoring and coaching for the successful day-to-day operations of the Ready-Mix, Aggregate and Fleet business units as noted above.
- Work closely with Corporate Managers in all aspects of the company including Operations, Finance, Ready Mix, Fleet, Dispatch, Projects/Maintenance, IT and Human Resources to ensure consistency and uniformity with corporate guidelines, expectations and goals.
- Oversee and manage 1) Ready-Mix operations, sales, dispatch and drivers, 2) Aggregate sales, dispatch and drivers, and 3) Fleet maintenance personnel to maximize continuity, consistency, efficiency, etc.
- Oversee and manage the Ready-Mix and Aggregate quality control programs.
- Ensure Ready-Mix and Fleet facilities are operating efficiently and effectively including coordination, as necessary, to assure timely completion of repairs and maintenance.
- Review and evaluate existing Ready-Mix facilities and procedures including maintenance scheduling, replacement cycling and purchasing and make recommendations to management.
- Create, track and analyze Ready-Mix capital budgets and expenditures to determine the performance of each facility and research ways to reduce costs while maintaining quality and make recommendations to management.
- Report Ready-Mix facility performance regularly to management, including an annual report and compiling/submitting the coming year’s budget.
- As may be necessary, assist Corporate Managers with reviewing, evaluating, negotiating and coordinating various agreements/contracts.
- Champion and monitor data management systems to efficiently organize the Ready-Mix fleet at various facilities per various schedules and requests and ensure all vehicles continually remain in a safe and efficient operating condition.
- Monitor and ensure operations comply with permit requirements and company safety and environmental programs. Facilitate and implement corrective actions as may be necessary to manage operations to achieve company objectives.
- Ensure that company goals are being achieved and customer satisfaction is being maintained.
- Review and make recommendations to management in all aspects of the operations.
- Maintain a positive, respectful working relationship and communicate effectively with customers, ownership and all company employees.
- Maintain knowledge of industry relevant issues by seeking continuing education opportunities.
- Champion the company to employees, customers and the community by participating in company sponsored events and activities.
Job Skills and Requirements:
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills & attributes;
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking – ask the right questions, separate facts from assumptions and determine relevant facts in the decision making process.
- Excellent negotiating, planning, scheduling and logistical skills.
- Comfortable interacting at multiple levels – from drivers, operators, mechanics, sales, marketing, dispatch to the company president.
- An understanding of finance as it pertains to ready-mix, aggregate and fleet operations.
- Knowledge in the supplier market as may be necessary to assess options and negotiate agreements.
- A general understanding of fleet vehicle and equipment systems, technology and specifications.
- Technical expertise associated with supplying, producing/manufacturing and transporting goods to the marketplace.
- A self-starter who will 1) maintain a positive attitude, 2) be a coach and mentor while working as a member of a team, 3) evaluate employee potential and assist with their education and growth, 4) work independently, diligently and responsibly with minimal supervision, 5) manage time wisely, 6) multi-task, prioritize and sustain focus, 7) meet a deadline, and 8) be held accountable.
- Successfully supervise and oversee the work of others.
- Be honest, responsible and trustworthy with confidential information.
- Represent the company in a professional and ethical manner.
Education and Experience;
- A 4-year degree in Business, Engineering, CIM, Construction Management, Operations Management or equivalent with a minimum of 8-10 years of increasing managerial experience in the Ready-Mix industry is preferred. In lieu of a degree, an equivalent combination of increasingly responsible equivalent work experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Miles Sand & Gravel Company is a 4th generation, family owned producer of aggregates and ready-mix concrete for the construction industry. Our corporate office is located in Puyallup, WA with facilities in western WA – from the Canadian border to Tenino. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug free Company. We have an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off and retirement plan. Please type divmgr.miles.rocks in the subject line of your email reply.
Email/Fax resumes to or apply in person:
Miles Sand & Gravel Company (Main Office)
400 Valley Ave NE
Puyallup, WA 98372
Fax – 253.444.0744