Fleet Maintenance Manager
Miles Sand & Gravel Company is seeking a Fleet Maintenance Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for the daily shop operations and associated staff for assigned locations.
The ideal candidate should be capable of performing the following essential tasks;
- Supervise all fleet maintenance personnel and mechanics in all phases of fleet and off road equipment maintenance.
- Responsible for or authorized to delegate checking time cards, writing work orders, ordering parts and materials and making work assignments.
- Responsible for scheduling and planning work and assist to establish yearly budgets.
- Assist with selection of new hires through the interview process including evaluating, training and coaching personnel.
- Establish repair and maintenance standards.
- Oversee and/or perform equipment maintenance job tasks on limited/as-needed basis to include but not limited to, installation of company cb radios, PM maintenance, brake adjustments, fluid changes, emergency roadside services etc.
- Performs complex operations including engine, electrical, fuel, brake and exhaust repairs/field test. This requires interpreting and working from drawings, specifications and other technical materials.
- Must be qualified to operate CDL and non-CDL vehicles to perform road tests, as well as shuttle in and out of garage for repairs and maintenance.
- Must be able to lift heavy parts/equipment up to 100lbs, including brake drums, tires, ladders, tool chests, floor jacks, etc. when necessary.
- Must be able to oversee and/or operate maintenance equipment including bench grinders, torch, drill press, jack stands, bore welder, boring bar, oil pumps, power washer, parts cleaner and other hand tools as required.
- Document repairs and parts on work orders completely and accurately.
- Maintain tools and work place so that conditions are neat and orderly.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Job Skills and Requirements:
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills & attributes;
- Must have knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and standard practices related to the maintenance and repair of heavy duty dump trucks, mixers and other vehicles and equipment. Principles of spark-ignited or diesel engines, hazards and safety precautions followed in heavy equipment and repair shops.
- Must remain alert to new methods and equipment that will improve and enhance a safe working environment, expedite job completion and provide cost savings.
- Perform computerized work order analysis, drive all job related vehicles and maintain a valid WA State enhanced driver’s license and/or Class A CDL as required.
- Must be willing and enthusiastic towards attending staff meetings, supervisory and technical training and follow and enforce company policies and procedures.
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable interacting at multiple levels – from drivers, operators and mechanics to the company president.
- A self-starter who can 1) work independently, diligently and responsibly with minimal supervision 2) work as a member of a team 3) manage their time wisely 4) multi-task 5) meet a deadline.
Required Education and/or Experience;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in diesel mechanics, hydraulics, mechanical, electrical, welding, supervision and leadership skills, or equivalent experience which will allow the successful completion of the essential tasks.
The Miles Group of Companies includes Miles Sand & Gravel Company and Miles Resources, LLC. Miles Sand & Gravel Company is a 4th generation, family owned producer of aggregates and ready-mix concrete for the construction industry. Miles Resources, LLC is a general contractor specializing in civil construction and asphalt paving. Our corporate office is located in Puyallup, WA with facilities in western WA – from the Canadian border to Tenino. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug free company. We have an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off and retirement plan. Please type flt.maint.mgr in the subject line of your email reply.
Email/Fax resumes to or apply in person:
Miles Sand & Gravel Company (Main Office)
663 Pease Rd
Burlington, WA 98233
Fax – 253.444.0744