Miles Sand & Gravel Company is looking for a highly motivated, experienced Sales Representative. The Sales Representative is responsible for developing strong customer relationships and selling ready mix concrete and aggregate products and services in the South Puget Sound area. As a customer-facing position, the Sales Representative will work to provide excellent customer service and will assist customers with selecting the best products for their needs. Working with the Sales Manager, the Sales Representative will review and evaluate existing and potential accounts and projects, pricing strategies and sales forecasts on a regular basis. The Sales Representative will also frequently communicate with operations, quality control and dispatch personnel regarding customer needs. This position is based out of Puyallup, WA. Regional travel in the South Puget Sound area will be required.
The ideal candidate should be capable of the following essential tasks;
- Develop, build and maintain great relationships with existing and new customers including meeting with customers, scouting for potential prospects regularly, monitoring project performance and developing new accounts.
- Communicate with customers on a consistent basis to ensure customer satisfaction. This includes identifying customer requirements and assisting with selecting the appropriate products to meet customer specifications.
- Visit customer jobsites to ensure customer needs are being met by operations and, if necessary, address any concerns directly with the customer.
- Track existing and potential customer touchpoints utilizing a CRM program.
- Perform surveys and research for the purpose of advising management of market and future business trends.
- Ensure profit maximization and realization of sales targets through direct communication with the Sales Manager and the General Manager.
- Assist with all facets of marketing the company to enhance the overall image and sales of the company. This includes, but is not limited to, customer & employee appreciation events, advertising, updates to website, attend job fairs and trade shows, recommend donations/sponsorship opportunities to management, etc.
- Evaluate social media advantages & disadvantages and provide recommendations to management.
- Maintain a positive, respectful working relationship and communicate effectively with ownership, management and other company department managers and supervisors and be willing to modify/adjust sales approach and goals based on the overall goals of the company.
- Maintain knowledge of industry relevant issues, concrete applications/quality and value added products (VAP’s) by seeking continuing education opportunities.
- Support a superior safety and housekeeping program which may include addressing jobsite safety concerns.
- Compile, analyze and interpret sales data to produce reports on sales performance. Review reports with management and make recommendations to management.
- Prepare and present periodic budget/sales forecasts to management and offer recommendations on an appropriate action plan to improve the operations of the business.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) and other software packages relevant to the position.
- Work as a member of a team with other Corporate and Division Managers to ensure the highest quality products and services for our customers.
- Attend industry related functions as required.
Job Skills and Requirements:
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills & attributes;
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience with direct sales utilizing proven sales techniques.
- Critical thinking – ask the right questions, separate facts from assumptions and determine relevant facts in the decision making process.
- Excellent negotiating, planning, scheduling and logistical skills.
- Display a customer centric mindset in a team environment.
- Comfortable interacting at multiple levels – from contractors, drivers, operators, quality control and dispatch to the company president.
- Knowledge in the supplier market as may be necessary to assess options and negotiate agreements.
- Technical expertise associated with supplying, producing/manufacturing and transporting goods to the marketplace.
- A self-starter who will 1) work independently, diligently and responsibly with minimal supervision, 2) work as a dedicated member of a team, 3) manage time wisely, 4) multi-task, prioritize and sustain focus, 5) meet a deadline, 6) be held accountable, and 7) maintain a positive attitude.
- Be honest, responsible and trustworthy with confidential information.
- Represent the company in a professional and ethical manner.
Education and Experience;
- A 4-year degree in Business, Marketing, Engineering, CIM, Construction Management, Operations Management or equivalent with a minimum of 5-7 years of increasing sales and marketing experience in the Aggregates and Ready-Mix industries is preferred. In lieu of a degree, an equivalent combination of increasingly responsible equivalent work experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Miles Sand & Gravel Company is a 4th generation, family owned producer of aggregates and ready-mix concrete for the construction industry. Our corporate office is located in Puyallup, WA with facilities in western WA – from the Canadian border to Tenino. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug free Company. We have an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off and retirement plan. Please type sales.rep.rocks in the subject line of your email reply.
Email/Fax resumes to or apply in person:
Miles Sand & Gravel Company (Main Office)
400 Valley Ave NE
Puyallup, WA 98372
Fax – 253.444.0744