Miles Sand & Gravel Company is seeking an experienced Driver Manager to oversee a first-class fleet of drivers in Pierce County! Join a well-established, long term, exceptional quality, 4th generation family owned business that values employees, customers and community. The successful candidate will report directly to the Division Manager.
- Work closely with Operations, Fleet, IT and HR departments to ensure effective and efficient use of the company’s assets.
- Hire, train and manage truck drivers including, but not limited to, coordinating and monitoring workload, proper reporting, assisting sales and dispatch with coordinating customer requirements and assuring adherence to all company policies.
- Supervise and motivate employees towards accomplishing company goals and objectives.
- Ensure vehicles are continually operating in a safe and efficient manner. Monitor all pre trip, post trips and maintenance on vehicles.
- Oversee transport of payloads and take appropriate action to ensure safe performance.
- Review jobsites with customers and employees to assure safe and efficient operations.
- Promote, adhere to and enforce company safety standards, measures and culture.
- Maintain knowledge of relevant industry issues by seeking continuing education opportunities.
- Flexible and have the ability to work some weekend and evening hours may be required.
- A company vehicle and cell phone will be provided.
- Be a champion for the company and ensure that company goals are being achieved.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Job Skills and Requirements:
- Ability to lead, teach, train and mentor employees with a “lead by example” work ethic.
- Critical thinking – ask the right questions, separate facts from assumptions and determine relevant facts in the decision making process.
- Excellent negotiating, planning, scheduling, logistical and conflict resolution skills.
- Comfortable interacting at multiple levels – from drivers, operators, mechanics, sales, marketing, dispatch to the general manager.
- Have the ability to solve problems, prioritize the most important situations, think quickly on your feet and apply solutions to minimize future disruptions.
- A proficient understanding of fleet vehicle and equipment systems, technology and specifications.
- Outstanding communication skills and a strong ability to communicate effectively and professionally via telephone, email and in-person. Have the ability to listen, speak plainly and communicate effectively.
- Create and maintain good relationships with management, employees and customers.
- Friendly, approachable, dedicated, service-oriented and a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- The ability to function in an office environment as well as the Company’s industrial environment including outdoor weather conditions.
- Possess the ability to keep calm during stressful situations.
- Organized with exceptional attention to detail and great recall skills.
- Willingness to travel extensively to the Company’s various sites and project locations.
- Honest, responsible and trustworthy with confidential information.
- Strong technology skills and demonstrate proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.).
- A self-starter who can 1) work independently, diligently and responsibly with minimal supervision 2) work as a member of a team 3) manage their time wisely and prioritize work 4) multi-task in a fast paced environment 5) meet a deadline 6) be accountable and 7) have a “can do” attitude.
- Ability to occasionally lift/carry up to 50 pounds.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and an excellent driving record.
- Represent the company in a professional and ethical manner.
Recommended Education and/or Experience:
- A 2-year Associate’s degree or 4-year degree in Business, CIM – Concrete Industry Management, Construction Management, Project Management, Operations Management or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years of increasing managerial experience in the Aggregate or Ready-Mix industry is preferred.
- In lieu of a degree, an equivalent combination of increasingly responsible relevant work experience, education and training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- A minimum of 3 years driver supervisory experience is highly desired.
- A clean and insurable driving record is required. A Class A CDL and DOT medical card are preferred.
- Highly knowledgeable in Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus.
The Miles Group of Companies includes Miles Sand & Gravel Company and Miles Resources, LLC. Miles Sand & Gravel Company is a 4th generation, family owned producer of aggregates and ready-mix concrete for the construction industry. Miles Resources, LLC is a general contractor specializing in civil construction and asphalt paving. Our corporate office is located in Puyallup, WA with facilities in western WA – from the Canadian border to Tenino. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug free company. We have an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off and retirement plan. Please type “drive.mgr.miles.rocks” in the subject line of your email reply.
Email/Fax resumes to:
Miles Sand & Gravel Company
Fax – 253.444.0744